In 1828, the city of St. Louis opened its first courthouse. For more than 180 years, the Circuit Court has stood among the most storied and historically significant courts in America.
In 1850, a St. Louis jury granted Dred and Harriet Scott, Missouri slaves, their freedom. That decision would eventually be overturned in the United States Supreme Court and push the country into civil war.
Today, the St. Louis Circuit Court comprises two courthouses -- the Civil Courts Building and the Carnahan Courthouse -- and conducts approximately 200 jury trials a year, staffs a juvenile court and detention facility, operates a drug treatment court for nonviolent offenders and is active in public education through the city's schools and community groups.
As it was in 1828, the Court remains committed to providing all people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law and to efficiently and effectively carry out the duties bestowed upon us by the State of Missouri.